Unit title & code :- Victims and Victimology ASS075-2
Assignment number and title :- 1 /Scenario-based Case study
Assignment type :- Case Study
Weighting of assignment :- 100%
Size or length of assessment :- 2500 words +/- 10% Note that reference lists do not count in the word limit.
ASS075-2 Victims And Victimology Assignment 2 – UK
Unit learning outcomes :-
1.Demonstrate the following knowledge and understanding:
Synthesise the theoretical and practical concepts of providing initial contact and support to victims survivors and witnesses who have been affected by offending or anti-social behaviour.
2.Demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
Analyse situations and apply key theories and concepts in respect of offender and victim relationships victim status victim support and the victim’s role within the criminal justice system.
What am I required to do in this assignment?
The only assignment for this unit is a scenario-based case study. You will be provided with a written visual scenario and will be required to make notes on your approach. These notes will be developed into a case study, which will allow you to demonstrate your understanding of the legislation policies procedures and theoretical concepts underpinning dealing with victims, survivors and witnesses.
You need to present a written argument that is focused reasoned evidenced logically organised appropriately concluded and referenced by a recognised system Harvard to address given questions about youth and crime. You will be given feedback on your work and you will be able to gauge your strengths and address areas where you need to make improvements in your knowledge, analysis and communication skills.
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
In order to pass Assessment 1 you will need to:
• Identify and apply the relevant legislation and procedures relating to the initial and ongoing support given to victims survivors and witnesses
• Identify the options for supporting individuals and the rationale used in determining the most appropriate action to be taken for the individuals concerned
• Describe and evaluate the impact of crime on victims survivors and witnesses and explore their need for protection respect recognition information and confidentiality
• Identify analyse and evaluate key concepts in respect of offender and victim relationships victim status victim support and the victim’s role within the criminal justice system.
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
Develop a case study of 2000 words on a specific type of crime or victimological experience. For your assessment you will choose a particular type of crime such as hate crime domestic violence sexual violence or state crime critically consider victims experiences criminal justice and societal responses awareness and consider possible alternative approaches. The work will be split into three core parts:
• Part 1 will consider the existing literature related to your chosen area of focus developing a coherent synthesis of academic perspectives and victimological debates;
• Part 2 will consider victim orientated existing policy laws criminal justice practitioner interventions responses and public under standing and awareness of your chosen crime;
• Part 3 requires you to develop a creative alternative response to how the experiences of victims of your crime of choice could be improved. Examples could include suggested criminal justice responses policies or awareness campaigns. You should be as detailed and innovative as possible, using existing literature to develop your arguments. This aspect of the assessment in particular requires you to apply your learning and knowledge considering not only what services and provisions currently exist for victims but also how these could be improved. You could create visual materials to evidence and support their ideas. The final report will not have a set format but we will develop your assessments individually and collectively through work shops and assessment focused tutorials.
You will all have the opportunity to achieve an additional uplift of 10% to your final grade for your course work submission to obtain the uplift you will be required to submit an additional reflective account of no more than 500 exploring your development as a learner and practitioner reflectively throughout the module. Templates will be provided and you will be required to submit these within the appendix of
your summative assessment (case study).
Specific assessment guidance on presentation content or structure
1.Word processed double spaced Arial 12 Font and number the pages. You must also include a word count.
2.Ensure that you write the assignment in essay format with an introduction main body and conclusion. A key feature of an essay should be a continuous narrative throughout your writing. In that you will not use headings and subheadings to break up the information that you are discussing as would be the case with a report.
3.An introduction that details the construction of the essay and informs the reader of what to expect to find with in the essay
4.A conclusion where you draw the threads of your discussion together and show how you have addressed your aims and objectives.
5.As a minimum requirement you are expected to draw on 10 academic sources if you do not use 10 ACADEMIC sources you will lose marks and risk failing this assignment)
What constitutes an academic source?
1) Books found in the library
2) E-books – that are specific to the subject of sociology/the topic you are discussing
4) Official web pages that end in .ac/ .org/ .gov
5) Policy papers
6) Papers found on Google Scholar
What does not constitute an academic source?
1) Online sociology/ criminology blogs/webpages/essay writing sites/online student rooms
2) General pages found on google (unless they are policy papers/.org/.ac/.gov
3) Articles from the tabloid newspapers (the Sun/the mirror/the Daily Mail)
4) Un-official web pages that are general discussions without being peer-reviewed/from a university /from an academic source
You cannot just rely on the core textbooks; you will need to search for other books/ journals/articles to help you answer the question. You will need to source articles in the library especially journal articles as they will provide you with the latest research evidence/arguments.
You must use the Harvard referencing system to identify the source of all the information used in your assignment. You will find a copy of the latest referencing guidelines on the unit’s BREO site. Also read the section headed Plagiarism and Bad Academic Practice in your hand book. For guidance on referencing sources go to the following web page:
ASS075-2 Victims And Victimology Assignment 2 – UK
You are reminded that plagiarism of any type will be penalised and result in a fail.
How does this assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
The assignment relates directly to teaching and related learning activities in the unit, whose focus is on victims and victimology. Through the lectures, seminars and guided reading you will develop knowledge and understanding regarding working with and supporting victims families and witnesses locating this in a wider societal context as well as learning concepts and theories about victimology. This data will then enable you to produce your scenario-based case study, applying the theories to various victim contexts such as victims of various hate crimes.