2017-2018 – Assessment 1: (60%)
Core learning outcomes: BSS008 CAREER PLANNING Assignment
- Evaluate your strengths and weaknesses in relation to jobs and career paths.
In order to pass the assessment you will need to:
- Identify quantifiable gaps in your knowledge and personal skills through the process of completing a gap analysis utilising current recruitment material from industries relevant to your course.
Assessment brief: ‘Prepare a portfolio’
Assessment 1 is a portfolio that contains evidence of how the activities of the first two blocks have enabled you to evaluate gaps in your knowledge based on the current requirements of your chosen industry. In addition, you will be required to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses in relation to the current job market (e.g. interviewing employers, listening to speakers from industry, completing skills audit questionnaire), identifying both how well you currently meet person specifications and the extent to which your current public profiles (e.g. CV’s, personal web site, Linked In etc) demonstrate that you have the skills to meet the needs of your chosen industry. The results of this gap analysis will then inform your future action planning.
The first assessment is based on the activities you have covered in Practice week Blocks 1 and 2. You have to prepare a portfolio based on activities and tasks (given below) that form an important part of your application for a job you willidentifyas suitable (from the given list of ‘job adverts) for your first job after university and is designed to help you match your strengths to what the employer is asking for.The Portfolioshould contain the following documents:
- Completed employability skills audit questionnaire (Download from BREO).
- Completed Employer information checklist based on your experience of talking to an You must also use the notes (taken from talks given by the industry experts) to complete the checklist.
- Completed application form (Download from BREO).
- Completed company research checklist (Download from BREO)
- Prepare a tailored CVwith a working link to your Personal Professional Wix website, for the chosen job specification from the given list.
- Creating a LinkedIn profile.
- Describe different media platformsand‘Write up a list of 15 relevant people in the ‘job search area’you are following onsocial media. (i.e.LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter)
Please use the given ‘Marking rubric’ to assess your ‘work in progress’ as it will give you a fair ideaon the ‘expected grade.’